Career Development Services
Online Job Board
The MBKU Online Job Board (“The Career Resource Center”) advertises open positions (full-time, part-time, and fill-in) for all three fields of practice. This service is free for students and includes a resume review service, interviewing tips, and tricks (and other content), and an Ask-The-Experts feature where you can submit questions to real career experts! Students create a personalized unique profile and job alerts; upload resumes and cover letters (or you can build them through the site) and apply for jobs directly through the site. The search function has a variety of filters so you can sort out exactly what you are looking for. The student account dashboard includes any contact requests from potential employers, messages, job applications, saved jobs, and saved searches. Anyone can search for jobs on this site – students, graduates, and even people unaffiliated with MBKU!
The SAC Moodle page hosts a section titled “Career/Job Search Resources” that includes a wealth of professional development articles, resources, and information. This section provides links to MBKU internal employment opportunities, the MBKU Career Resource Center and MBKU-hosted continuing education opportunities, and more:
- Resume, CV, and cover letter tips and tricks, examples, and templates
- Sample acceptance, decline, follow-up, and thank-you letters
- Field-specific job boards
- Educational videos and information on effective job searching, networking, interviewing, and negotiating, entrepreneurship, private/independent practice, and how to build and maintain a professional brand
- And tons more helpful articles on related miscellaneous topics
MBKU Career Symposium
The Symposium is an annual summertime event for 3rd/4th year optometry, 1st year PA and 3rd/4th year pharmacy students. The Symposium begins with an opening speaker followed by field-specific professional panel Q&A breakouts and a full-service hors d’oeuvres networking reception. Community professionals, alumni, faculty, and staff are all invited to the reception so students may network with their future colleagues.