The official channels of intercommunication and lines of responsibility shall follow the formal table of organization as set forth herein or as subsequently modified by action of the Board of Trustees. The official representatives of these groups shall be:
- Chair of the Board of Trustees | for the Board of Trustees and/or its Executive Committee and Board Committee
- President of the University | for the administration and for the University
- Senior Vice President for Administration and Finance and CFO | for administrators and staff in finance and business operations
- Vice President for Academic Affairs | for administrators and staff in University academic support services
- Vice President for University Advancement | for administrators and support staff in fundraising and alumni relations
- Vice President for Human Resources | for employees
- Vice President for Enrollment and Student Services | for students
- Dean of the Southern California College of Optometry (SCCO) | for the faculty and academic administrators of SCCO
- Director of the School of Physician Assistant Studies (SPAS) | for the faculty and academic administrators of SPAS
- Dean of College of Pharmacy (COP) | for the faculty and academic administrators of COP
- President of the Faculty Senate | for the faculty
- President for the Student Government Association | for the students, student association (including all organizations and clubs), and individual classes
- Alumni Association President | for the Alumni Association Board of Directors, members of the alumni association, and the alumni
Interactions between members of the Board of Trustees, administration, faculty members, support staff, students, alumni, and the public are conducted according to the stated organizational protocols:
- All official contacts between the Board of Trustees and the faculty, administrators, support staff, student body, and alumni shall be through the President of the University.
- Representations by the Board of Trustees Chair, the President of the Faculty Senate, the President of the Student Association, and the Alumni Association Chair shall be official only insofar as the individuals are elected and as they are duly authorized by their respective groups.
- Individual contacts between members of the Board of Trustees, the administration, faculty, support staff, students, Student Association and Alumni Association pertaining to the affairs of the University shall have no official status and may not be documented as part of the business of the University.
- Since the members of the student body, faculty, support staff, Alumni Association, administration, and Board of Trustees represent a wide spectrum of cultural, societal, religious, and political beliefs, such opinions as may be held by any of the individuals within these groups will not become any part of the transaction of these groups. Reference to matters of this nature, whether written or oral, will not become a part of the official business of the University.
- The private personal business and/or the practice of a faculty member is not to become a part of the business of the University and is not to interfere with the faculty member's duties or reflect unfavorably on the University at any time. Faculty, administration, staff, and students will not impose upon other members of the University community (including the Board of Trustees) for special privileges because of their status nor shall members of the Board of Trustees seek special consideration from any member of the University community because of their position. Any questions concerning any aspect of this matter should be brought to the attention of the President of the University as soon as possible.
- Redress or appeal: In the event that any individual member(s) of any of the above-named groups believes their statement, request, petition or recommendation has not received fair and equitable consideration based on existing official University policy and procedures, it may be submitted in writing to the President of the University for redress provided that all reporting protocols have been followed as described in the Student Grievance Procedures section of the University Student Handbook.